Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Learning with Don Halladay - the Young Horse Clinic

Right now I am doing a Young Horse Clinic with Don Hallarday (Parelli Professional). It is just amazing!

I brought Prince, a Gypsy Vanner gelding that I have been working with. Prince and I have come a long way since we started, but I wanted to come to this clinic to get more ideas for building confidence and progressing with him under saddle.

Prince and I ride walk/trot, but the canter always seemed to be a bit of an issue - and by that I mean some serious rodeo bucks if I'm not careful. Don Halladay has started many horses, is natural horsemanship, and he was bucking bronco rider in his former days which means he has a ton of experience to make him perfect for the job to help.

Prince has done 2 days of the 3 day clinic so far, and I am very happy with what we are learning and progressing. Both Don and I have been riding Prince and Prince had some bucks in the beginning at the canter, but with patience, understanding, and persistence Don is helping both Prince and I to progress.

I was really happy with Prince going walk, trot, and canter today under saddle on 3 different rides! He also stood on the pedestal, walked over the bridge, and jumped down the stairs! There is so much to do at the Horseman's Word Ranch.

Tomorrow I am taking Vinnie to play with in between some of Prince's rest breaks - I know it will be a fun & educational day!

No comments:

Post a Comment